Resources is a glorified list of assets, code, research, and more. The purpose is to conveniently bring together resources for your own education. If you’d like to add something, just do it.
Pro tip: Ctrl F can be helpful in this section.
- Bryson - Usability testing, user research methods, information architecture, 🐨 climbing trees
- Craig - !!WARNING: approach wild Craigs with caution. anything software development, system architecture/thinking, prototyping, github, emotional support, synths and sounds, graphic tees 💯, vegan
- Dan - statistics, mathy stuff, science, data/math/quantitative models, brewing 🍻, woodworking/shop
- Edwin - Illustration, information design, visual design, biology/anatomy 💀🥩, literature research methods, go/weiqi/baduk ⚪️⚫️
- Eric - Design from pixels to kitchens, 🏒hockey, random studio questions, sketching, cooking
- Jen - Design feedback, responsive design, getting studio keys and MBTA pass, tea, crochet, all things 🐈😻
- Juhan - 💡 design, critique, howz to dooz biz, estonian pancakes, MIT shenanigans
- Parsuree - 🇹🇭, visual design, concept development, User Interface design, typography, whimsical watercolor, animals, (smelly) food!
- Pat - 🇨🇵🇨🇦, illustration, animations, brainstorming, storytelling, visual design, anatomy, PattyComics©️
- Sharon - Typically eager to help, here for: design feedback, a brainstorming pal, scribing practice, or if you want to discuss the future of healthcare, ceramics, contemporary choreography 👯♀, ... urban exploration...
Other helpful links
- First day checklist - for new hires
- StaffPlan - where we log our hours
- Toggl - tool for tracking your time
- Asana - Asana allows you to assign tasks to users, list end dates, categorize the task, and plot progress in various formats including Kan Ban and Calendar.
- Bandcamp - Basecamp has file storage, task assignment and tracking, schedules, chat and message boards, and more.
- Github - Github has a Project feature where you can create a Kan Ban to track tasks. When Dropbox isn't an option, Github also great for holding project files as it can track versioning with 2-factor authentication security.
Templates & Surveys
- Client Exit Survey - for the client at the end of the project
- Invo Exit Survey - for the Invo team at the end of the project
- Kickoff Survey - for clients and stakeholders at the start of a project
- Kickoff Template - two schedules are outlined (2-day kickoffs and short kickoffs)
- Marketing Material Survey - for the Invo team to help collect any prime work for marketing
- Post Mortem Templates - tool to help evaluate and learn from completed projects. Find a good example here
- Adobe Suite - the standard AfterEffects, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator.
Interface Design Tools
- Oracle - A colorblindness simulator you need!
- WebAim Contrast Checker - make sure your contrast meets accessibility standards.
- Zeplin - style guide builder with integrations for Sketch, Figma, and XD.
- IBM Data Visualization - guidelines for successful & cohesive vis design
Information Architecture (IA)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Information Architecture for UX Designers - Helpful basics about IA
- Information Architecture. The Most Important Part of Design You’re Probably Overlooking. - Helpful basics about IA
- Material Design - visual language built on basic design principles and the metaphor of physical material. This is a great tool for new designers.
- US Web Design Standards - UI that meets Accessibility standards
- US Usability Guide - The what, why, how, and tools for designing usable experiences by the US gov
User Research & Testing Tools
- Framer Prototyping - prototyping via a split screen of simple coffee script on one side and your digital prototype on the other. Great for slick animations/interactions.
- Invision Prototyping - simplest prototyping system - upload screens and link together.
- Optimal Workshop User Research - Optimal workshop costs a hefty monthly fee but provides a fantastic set of tests including Tree Tests, Card Sorting, basic Surveys, and more.
- Proto.io Prototyping - prototyping tool that’s designer-friendly and high functionality
- Transcription Service for Recordings - This is helpful for transcribing user interviews to search for further insights.
User Research & Testing Guides
- User Testing Articles from Nielsen Norman Group - The list includes: How To Setup a Mobile Usability Test, How to Test Visual Design, Top 10 Information Architecture (IA) Mistakes and more.
- Invo Style Guide Template - a homegrown style guide template produced by Jen P.
- Free SVG maps
Design Examples and Inspiration
Accurat - Milan, NY design firm with beautiful data vis
Invo Examples - dropbox folder with examples of our best work
NY Times - often has great data vis + storytelling
Pudding.cool - data visualization + storytelling
This is a comprehensive guide curated by GoInvo to help newcomers to coding learn the ways of the force.
More tools and learning code
- Codeacademy - good starting place for picking up the basics or learning new languages
- Codrops - great snippets and tutorials
- D3 - JS visualization library
- SASS - CSS, but better
- SQL ZOO - Interactive SQL tutorial
- Regex101 - live regular expression tester and validator
- Groovy Console - If using Groovy, useful tool for testing Groovy scripts
- ROSALIND - learning bioinformatics and programming through active problem solving, including Python and classic bioinformatic algorithms
Personal Programming Reference Library - (also known as PPRL, pronounced “people” as a Furby would say it) Learning contains ebooks covering a wide range of programming topics, from database design to frontend visualization to framework-specific tutorials. Reference contains reference textbooks on prob/stats and applied to theoretical computer science.
- If interested in SQL databases
- If interested in graph databases
- If interested in RESTful API design
- If interested in data visualization
- If interested in code deployment tools
- If interested in useful CSS techniques
- If interested in Java development
- If interested in an introductory text to common AI techniques
- GoInvo GitHub
- Media Temple - description
Virtual Bookshelf - all of the books in the GoInvo Library
Past Research on Specific User Groups
- Alzheimer’s Research - googledoc compiling research about experiencing Alzheimer’s (what’s the diagnosis process like, care, pathology, recent innovation); created by Sharon in preparation for the RIC with Matchstick and Eli Lilly
- HCI for low-income, low-literate - dropbox folder of research papers by Kathryn Summers, Ph.D
- MWUX (oct) - UX design
- UXPA (may) - UX design
- GET (april) - human biology
- IxDA (feb) - largest interaction design
- Data viz summit (sep) - data design and analysis
Tech + Design Conferences
- CHI - human computer interaction
- FITC - a creativity and innovation conference in Toronto
- HCI international - human computer interaction
- Open viz conference - data visualization, information design
- Poptech - design and technology
- IEEE vis - science and information visualization
- Intelligent user interfaces - AI based interface
Design + Medicine Conferences
- Stanford medicine X - academic medical conference
- HXR - design and medicine
- Digital health ACM - digital health research
- IDSA medical design conference - healthcare products
- TEDMED - health and medicine talks
- Human factors and ergonomics and healthcare -
- Mayo transform - medicine + design conference hosted by mayo clinic
Tech + Medicine Conferences
- HIMSS connected health conference - digital health conference
- Health datapalooza - health data and health policy
- OHDSI bioIT world - medical informatics
- Medical informatics world - medical informatics
- Ihealth clinical informatics - health informatics
- Boston health IT summit - health informatics
- Health 2.0 - healthcare tech conference
- APHA - public health
- Festival of genomics - genetics conference
- Mayo clinic individualizing medicine conference - precision medicine
- GET - genomics and society